Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Occult Square Dancing

Started using a Square card reader a few months ago amid rave reviews from friends and fellow festival vendors and had good results with it. Up until I thwacked myself upside the head because I never read through the whole policy section.



Well, that kinda creates a slight technical problem. And it's too vague to know if they're being discriminatory or just have no idea what they're talking about, or had an attack of slack and c/p'ed some moldy Nth generation boilerplate. I hadn't even thought about it because so many other PHA vendors use the thing. Google-ating drags up some previous speculation and questioning, with no hits on anything from Square indicating any significant 411 other than a broad statement about people making impossible claims about magic effects.

Okay, retroactive Do Your Homework time. Emailed Square:


Of course, I took the patently dishonest don't-throw-yourself-under-the-bus route till I find out if I screwed up or not. I haven't sold anything that would violate their policy since I read it; I'll ditch Square altogether if I find out I have been. Got this back:



 Meh. I get where they may be going, but still waffley. Emailed again:









Yeah, I went for a broad approach there. No, I do not speak for all of PHAdom. No, I do not determine what the word "occult" means for all of reality. I niptucked simplicity to convey something complicated and culturally subjective. Before you complain a whole lot, find me someone who does like hacks and rip off artists as a visual aid.

More email Wimbledon:


Gah - why does everything have to be "reaching out" now? Can't I just frackking contact
people? Is it really that threatening to think someone might want to ask you something that you're going to need to formulate a response to, so that you have to euphemize it?

Anyway, still not addressing the problem. But they're definitely getting points for not just blowing me off. Sent more longwindedness:



So tune in tomorrow for the continuing saga, if there is one after that. In the meantime, I'm signing up for PaypalHere so I'll have something to use at the next vending event either way. Per a better quality of DYH, their acceptable use policy doesn't list any similar issues.




4 comments:

  1. I use Square. While I don't sell any metaphysical items, some of my digital paintings have mythical subjects, and could (with a small stretch) be considered occult. I am interested in seeing how they react. Let me know if you want backup. I can write as a long-time user.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx muchly for offering! They haven't responded back to anything else I've sent, so I said the hell with it and just started using PayPalHere exclusively.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If you don't have a problem with discrimination or shoddy business practices, that's your own issue, chicklet.

      Delete