Thursday, December 3, 2009

Show-Ups

A week or so ago, some of us were helping a friend move. On the way to the new house with a load, we were talking about this and that event going on in the local community, and one of them commented to the effect that so many people were doing "important stuff", and he didn't think he was anybody who could make a difference, etc etc.

Horse piddle. He does something seriously important - he's an SU, or a show-up, somebody who shows up for things. The fun stuff and the "omigawd I just herniated a disc" stuff. The grandest, best organized, life-changing event isn't worth a dingo's kidneys if nobody shows up.

The currently underway
Parliament of World Religions is possible because people opted to be present. Our local Pagan Pride Days and other happenings only accomplish things if people decide to mosey on down. You can make often all the difference in the world, just by being a live, countable body that people can look at and say, "hey, these people thought this was worth something". If you have more to contribute, that's great - but "present and accounted for" is a legitimate skill, and most of us who put on anything like a class or festival or fundraiser are happy to see you exercise that skill. That whole contributing thing frequently happens by accident, as a side effect of you merely being involved in what someone else is doing. But it can't if you aren't there.

I'm not saying that everybody has to be there for everything. People have jobs, family stuff, health problems, and so on that dictate their days.

You, the guy in the body cast with the respirator, you're
exempt. The rest of you, show up to see him in the hospital. See? You're qualified!

There'll be something somewhere you can get in on, and if you're broke, find the free ones. Show up for a free museum or gallery show, a litter pick up, a coffee house meetup, or those guys who have open drum jams in public parks. Show up at a humane society fair or food drive - a whole lot of people just standing around talking attracts other people who wonder what's going on, and one of those people might turn out to be able to be a serious donor, or a good home for a shelter animal, or loads of other useful things. What about adding it to existing forms?


"To know, to dare, to will, to keep silent, and to show up"

"Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Self-Reliance, Perseverance, and Showing Up."


"
Nothing in Excess, Surety brings Ruin, Know Thyself, and Show Up"

" . . . . I have not done falsehood against men, I have not impoverished my associates, I have done no wrong in the Place of Truth, I have done no evil, I have not deprived the orphan of his property, I have not done what the gods detest, I have not slandered a servant to his master, I have not caused pain, I have not made hungry, I have not made to weep, I have not killed, I have not turned anyone over to a killer, I have not caused anyone’s suffering, I have not kept anyone from showing up . . . . "




If you hadn't showed up here, you might not have gotten to laugh at these completely-unrelated-to-this-post goobers, neh?






2 comments:

  1. Fabulous and very true post there Snoozepossum! I (bow)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How'd I miss this earlier?

    Thanx muchly!

    ReplyDelete