Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Anniversaries

Labor Day weekends have been good things.

On Labor Day weekend, 10 years ago, I went to a herp show and came home with a White's tree frog who would henceforth be called by the August and Noble name "Lumpy".


Lumpy in 2001


The Lumper took up residence in Frogworld, a little 55 gallon rainforest with a barking tree frog and a green hyla, and has been with me through five moves, three hurricane evacs, various winter power outages, and two times venturing out into the big world only to get attacked by a cat (Gods bless the creator of Neosporin!) .


Whites can live up to 15 to 20 years in captivity. I don't know for certain how old she is; she was full size when I got her. I figure it's she - the dweeb I bought her from said it was male, but she's never vocalized to my knowledge.

Frogs Got Talent - Wide Mouth Bass impersonation (that golf ball with legs in the back is Edmund the Asian painted frog, another denizen of Frogworld)


On another Labor Day weekend, four years ago, we reversed: I came home with a lovely Brit, and took him to the same annual herp show where I got Lumpy as a birthday prezzie.




Wunnerfully, Miles also thinks spending the day messing with reptiles, amphibians, rodents, and other exotics is a great date! I keep telling him he's perfect . . . I hope to get to keep him longer than 15 - 20 years.